[Blindmath] Subscript and superscript notation and mathml

John Gardner john.gardner at viewplus.com
Sun May 15 04:35:06 UTC 2016

Well the question is how mainstream authors write math. Most scientists use one of the following to author scientific documents. More or less in order of popularity:
* MS Word with the MathType math editor,
* LaTeX or some flavor of TeX,
* MS Word with the native MS math editor.

* Because of its popularity and because of the positive attitude of Design Science, the manufacturer of MathType, the first of these has now become pretty accessible. But only recently. There are at least two ways for blind people to author Word+MathType documents.
* Microsoft's native math editor is marginally accessible, and MS is working to improve its accessibility. However, MathType can convert equations in this format to MathType, so documents authored with the native editor need not be accessible, because anybody can convert them to a format that is very accessible. The native math editor is not really accessible to blind authors at this time.
* Latex/TeX source code is written in ASCII characters. So it is accessible for both reading and writing by blind users, though quite clumsy. But the compiled output is not accessible, so accessibility of LaTeX/TeX documents depends on the reader's ability to get a source file.

The original document are often converted to some format for the web or paper or electronic documents, and this conversion process has made even accessible documents inaccessible again. Recent developments, in particular MathJax, are now making it possible for web documents to be accessible.

So it is now possible in principle and practice for documents to be created in accessible formats and published in accessible formats. This is unfortunately still not as common as we would wish. But we are definitely making progress.

John Gardner