[Blindmath] Learning R

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Nov 14 20:52:26 UTC 2016

Hello,

There are dozens of ways to learn R and dozens of ways to learn statistics. Finding a combination that suits you in terms of subject matter will be at least as difficult as the accessibility of the material. Mike offered just one example; I prefer the Data.Camp ideas, but have doubts about its accessibility.

Your problem of having an insufficient statistical background for your postgraduate studies is extremely common, but it is a problem you must solve with your supervisor. I put the onus on supervisors on my own campus in situations like this, which often makes the student feel better because they feel that it was their problem alone. You do need to show your supervisor that your needs are different to those of other graduate students.

With respect to your software options as a blind person, take a read of:
https://r-resources.massey.ac.nz/statsoftware/

If you end up finding a suitable way to learn the statistical things you need for your studies (without R) and need to know how to do something in R, you might refer to my e-book at:
https://r-resources.massey.ac.nz/lurnblind/front.html
I've completed development of the infrastructure to have a version for blind people that adds descriptions that sighted readers do not need. The additions are not numerous at present but additions are fairly simple to incorporate as and when I find time.

Jonathan