[Blindmath] Basic Math

Lanie Molinar laniemolinar91 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:08:39 UTC 2016

Hi. I'm taking a basic math class online where I don't have an
accessible textbook available yet. Unfortunately, since it's been
several years since I've taken math like this and I have health issues
now that have made it very hard to remember how to do the work, I'm
really struggling with learning how to do it. I was wondering if anyone
might be able to give me tips on how to handle problems like the ones
I'm including below. I have a few friends who are trying to help me, but
they're sighted, and without the textbook, I'm finding it difficult to
understand what they're telling me. They do these problems in a very
visual way, so I know they're having a hard time, too. Here are a few
examples of problems I'm working on.

1. 538.9*2892.07    2. 82*0.00000789

The next few problems involve changing fractions into decimals.

3. 1/20  I know the answer to this one, but I couldn't tell you how I
know it or show my work.    4. 4/9    5. 2/3

These problems are division problems.

6. 434/8    7. 185/6    8. 689/14    9. 56.347/0.02    10. 553/6    11.
175.12/31

The next problems involve changing fractions into percents.

12. 37/40    13. 27/25

The instructions for the next few are to find the following.

14. Price: $75.37    Tax rate: 6%    Tax:

15. Attendees: 2,413    Percent men: 39%    Men:

16. Students: 15    Number of B‟s: 11    Percent of B‟s:

Those are examples of the questions I'm having trouble with. I would
really appreciate any help learning how to do these. Thanks.