[BlindMath] Transitioning from Completely Visual Math to Less Visual Math

Zach zm290 at msstate.edu
Tue Apr 4 17:50:12 UTC 2017

Has anyone had experience with the BLITAB system? http://blitab.com/

Zac

Zachary Mason
M.S. Student
Animal and Dairy Sciences
Mississippi State University

-----Original Message-----
From: BlindMath [mailto:blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of John Gardner via BlindMath
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 9:34 AM
To: 'Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics' <blindmath at nfbnet.org>
Cc: John Gardner <gardnerj at oregonstate.edu>
Subject: Re: [BlindMath] Transitioning from Completely Visual Math to Less Visual Math

Jason that early tablet was quite different from the HyperBraille. It displayed an entire DOS page of 80 characters by 25 lines and took up an entire desk. And it cost quite a bit more than US$100,000. Three were sold, or maybe only two with one being given free to the University of Stuttgart. And at least a few cells were broken at any given time. Wonder why it did not become more popular.

In fairness, the Hyperbraille is a lot more practical, and the price may eventually be a lot less than $100,000, but it would still be very surprising if the price got low enough that anybody but researchers could afford it.

John