[BlindMath] Math Labs

Justin Heard braillemasterjustin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 20:26:38 UTC 2017

Hi there!

My name is Justin Heard, and I am taking pre-calc this fall for
college. I found out last week that the college professor uses Math
Labs, which from my understanding is mostly online. I have
accessibility concerns, mainly about looking at images. How am I
supposed to understand complex graphs if they're on the screen,
besides hiring a reader? Even though I'm blind, I am a visual learner,
and benefit greatly from seeing tactile images. Besides that, is the
interactive material accessible? Will I be able to read Nemeth braille
if it is presented in a digital format? Will I be able to find the
appropriate symbols for each math problem?

Me and the disability office are concerned. There is one course
offered that does not use Math Labs, which could be a better option.
I'm majoring in Special Education, so this should be the only math
class I have to take besides learning how to teach basic math to
students. The class that does not use Math Labs is a basic course, and
should not be taken as a foundation for college algebra, which
shouldn't affect me. I'm not great at math anyway, so maybe this other
class would be a better option anyway. but it feels like a waste of
time.

Please help.