[Blindmath] answer about LaTeX to html

Łukasz Grabowski graboluk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 02:05:21 UTC 2017

I didn't know that alt+\ functionality, I guess it improved  since
I last tried it (probably ~15 years ago).

In any case I personally use linux and I'm very comfortable with latex
so I'd rather prepare accessible materials authored by myself in latex
or pandoc, and in case of latex  convert it to mathml via latexml, as
this much more efficient time-wise.

But in a way this doesn't matter, as the part of my job pertaining to
preparing accessible lecture notes, etc. is really about dealing with
documents prepared by other people, and the reality is that at
the university level, mathematics lecture notes are almost always (as
in: I've never seen anything else) prepared in latex. In this situation
manual retyping to other formats is much more time consuming than
running latexml (even with this alt+\ functionality, as typically there
are macros, etc.)

One extra upshot important in a long run is that mathml is an open
standard well supported on a variety of platforms, whereas mathtype
definitely is not. Since there is a considerable number of blind linux
users, in an ideal word we should all use something which is supported
on windows, mac and linux.

Also there is an additional aspect: tools should also be efficient for a
blind maths student to author long mathematical texts, and here I
imagine the efficiency of editing latex or pandoc in a text editor
could probably be 10 times better than using ms word.

Let me me mention that this is something which I personally consider
very paradoxical - I think my linux desktop and the way I and many
other 'traditional' users use it could be a very attractive
environment for blind users - I spend most of my time writing text and
reading text on a console - if I have to do something which involves a
"user interface" such as windows, buttons, mouse, etc. then I get very
unhappy.

I reckon in such an environment a blind user could be almost as
productive as a non-blind user. AND this is acknowledged by projects
such as Emacspeak (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacspeak)  - I can't
imagine there could be a more efficient way for a blind person to use a
computer for scientific tasks than emacspeak.

 Unfortunately - and this is the heart of the problem - the learning
 curve for using something like emacs is incredibly long compared to a
 typical windows application. For a sighted users starting to use emacs
 takes a few days, and then months to become really comfortable. So
 although it really hurts me to see my visually impaired student use the
 stupid windows interfaces which are barely accessible, but not
 convenient at all, and although I know that she could be way more
 efficient using something like emacspeak, I'm not in a position to
 even suggest switching the environments because it would take weeks
 and would need a dedicated support person before she can start feeling
 the advantages.

Best,
Łukasz