[Blindmath] Accessible math study materials

Miranda B. knownoflove at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:46:17 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

In preparation for taking my psychology statistics course, a friend who has
taken this course suggested that I see if the psychology department would be
willing to simply assess me on the math skills necessary for that course,
rather than try to deal with an inaccessible math placement test through the
ILrn software, and then inaccessibility of the My Math Lab software in 3-4
prerequisit courses, before I can even get to the psychology statistics
course. My friend's thought is that much of the math covered in this series
of prerequisite math courses would not even apply to the psychology
statistics course, and therefore I should only need to focus on what is
truly needed to prepare for and be assessed to enroll in that course.
Whether or not the university will agree to this assessment plan is yet to
be seen, but at this point it's worth a try at least.

My friend is willing to help me study, but I'm wondering if any of you know
of accessible math materials that I could use? I am completely blind and
rely on JAWS and a refreshable Braille display. Is there anything on
Learning Ally, Bookshare, VitalSource.com, ETC that you have had personal
success with using JAWS and/or a Braille display?

Thanks for your time and assistance, and have a wonderful weekend!

Best wishes, Miranda