[Blindmath] delivering a presentation, was Equalizing the Blackboard

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jan 17 20:32:52 UTC 2017

Hi Zac and all,

I haven't made a power point slide in the last five years that included an equation. In part this is because I've been able to manipulate old material to suit new audiences, and in part because I don't like putting an equation on a slide that my students won't write down. I show them the pdf for the normal distribution and explicitly tell them not to write it down because we don't use it. When I did use PowerPoint, it was a mixture of MathType and judicious use of the built in font and equation editor. I hated that what is inline in Word becomes a separate object in PowerPoint.

I've switched all presentation work into writing slides in markdown and presenting them in html. I use slidy presentations on occasion, but for some contexts, I've resorted to using one giant html page and the navigation keys of my screen reader to keep the visual stuff tied to my verbal delivery.

Jonathan