[BlindMath] FW: MathPlayer Braille Display Issues

Louis Maher ljmaher at swbell.net
Mon Jun 12 01:11:24 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Louis Maher [mailto:ljmaher at swbell.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 3:32 PM
To: 'NFB in Computer Science Mailing List' <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>; 'Discussion
of the Graphical User Interface, GUI Talk Mailing List'
<gui-talk at nfbnet.org>
Subject: MathPlayer Braille Display Issues

Folks,

The conbination of MathPlayer, MathType, and NVDA is very effective.

While I have not noticed any errors in the math speech, I am seeing errors
in the Braille display output.

In the MathPlayer tutorial
(https://www.dessci.com/en/reference/ies-ets/instructional_material/MathPlay
er_Navigation_Tutorial.docx), which I have attached to this message, The
equations involving the distance formula are spoken correctly, but the
Braille output lacks minus signs and closing parentheses.  You can see this
in
[Expressions 1, 2, and 3]: The distance formula: The distance between points
and  is given by the formula
 .

Also, in the VFO (JAWS) web example
http://www.freedomscientific.com/content/html/jawshq/MathML-Samples.html),
The integral has an extra x1t1x on the end, and the Sine function has an
extra x5 at the end.  Again, the speech is correct.

The JAWS math mode does not have these issues.

I am using the latest releases of NVDA, Firefox,  and JAWS, and a HumanWare
Brailliant 40 (the original Brailliant display) which is called a Baum super
vario.

I would appreciate a second Braille output opinion.  It could be something
in my own environment.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838