[BlindMath] Seeking Resources to Self-Study Math for Programming

William Nutt williamdnutt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 03:40:20 UTC 2017

I am planning to change careers to programming and eventually hope to
return to grad school for a MS in Computer Science. It has been a long
time since I did any math. In high school I went through Algebra II
using braille, and in college I took statistics. I never explored math
using my computer during this time.

Since I want to study artificial intelligence, I need to brush up on
pre-calculus and learn calculus, linear algebra, and discrete
mathematics. I need to do this through self-study and do not have
access to braille output. My primary computer uses NVDA, and I have
access to a Mac with Voiceover as well.

I would appreciate answers to the following questions, since I do not
know how best to proceed.

1. What do I need to learn so that I can embark on this self-study?
Should I learn LaTex or any other frameworks?

2. Where are the best places to learn this information?

3. Are there any other tools or tutorials I should be aware of? Has
someone laid out a roadmap for this kind of project before?

4. What accessible resources do people recommend for learning math for
computer science? What are the best ways to maximize accessibility
with NVDA and Voiceover?

Thank You in Advance,
William Nutt