[BlindMath] Getting a Text Book

Zach zm290 at msstate.edu
Fri Mar 10 15:01:14 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I wrote before about this course, but wanted to ask about peoples'
experiences requesting accessible versions of text books from publishers and
authors. As Dr. Godfrey pointed out, my text book is over ten years old, but
my prof fervently believes this is the end-all text for applied linear
regression. Unfortunately I've found my learning style depends on reading a
text book more than listening to lectures, and my prof assigns almost all
homework's as problems from the book-not the hard part, I just get people to
read them to me, but understanding the material when you've fallen way
behind and have a thousand commitments is. So after that rant. could someone
share with me a sample letter they may have sent to an author and/or
publisher that elicited a positive response, that is to say the
author(s)/publisher sent them an accessible and/or workable format of the
text? My disabilities office contacted the publisher at the beginning of the
semester to which the response was "We don't have an electronic copy of this
book." Is that possible considering the book was published in 2004? My DSS
then shredded my hard copy and made a readable PDF, but as we all know math
doesn't translate, which is kind of important in regression.

Thank you Dr. Godfrey again for the tutorial resources. I'm getting to them
ASAP. If I'm ever in NZ or you in US perhaps we should try meeting up.

Thanks all,

Zac

Zachary Mason

M.S. Student