[BlindMath] [nfbcs] Science division reach its 2017 STEM scholarship goal

Doug and Molly Miron mndmrn at hbci.com
Thu May 11 02:37:25 UTC 2017

    Good day all,

I am a 76-year old research electrical engineer.  I've been hard-of-seeing
all my life, typical acuity of 4/200 until early 2015 when I lost useful
vision.  I earned the B.S.E.E. in '62, the M.S.E.E. in'63 and the Ph.D. in
'77.  When I went to work in '63 an EE was not expected to be overly
specialized but to learn the particulars of a problem on the job.  While I
had specialized in control systems, in those days it was a broad field
encompassing electric machines, electronics, hydraulics, pneumatics,
sometimes heat transfer and fluid flow.  In '74 I went to work for a company
that wanted an rf engineer, so I became one, designing rf circuits and
antennas and arrays for five years.  Before that, I had done general
electronics design, control systems analysis for space-borne energy systems,
fuel cell controls, and wrote simulation code for a rotary heat transfer
system at the back end of a jet engine.  I set up an experiment to show that
lead-acid batteries produced gas on both charge and discharge, an important
issue for deep-diving research submarines.  While I was teaching in the '80s
and '90s I wrote code for a small-vocabulary voice recognition system to run
on the '386 processor which is a fixed-point arithmetic rather slow
processor by today's standards.  The point is, I had continuous job
satisfaction to the present day.  I observed in job ads in the '90s that the
requirements were getting narrower as time went on, reading more like a
poaching ad than a search for real talent.  I think that when a job ceases
to offer you interesting work it's time to move on.  Although, in general,
management pays more than engineering, I didn't want to go that way, partly
because we felt that managers were failed engineers.

Regards,
Doug Miron