[BlindMath] Average Rate of Change problem

Bente Casile bente at casilenc.com
Sat Aug 18 14:40:30 UTC 2018

Elise,

 Your function is y (also known as f of x ) equals x squared minus x plus 4.  Average rate of change is calculating slope.  You have your x values given to you in the problem and you compute the y values by putting your x values in the function to get the y that goes with it.  So for example for x = 1 I find the y by solving 1 squared minus 1 plus 4 which is 4, so your point is (1,4) and for x equals 2 you have 2 squared minus 2 + 4 = 6 so your second pair is (2,6)  Now you do your average rate of change, that is change in y over change in x, so in this case (6-2) over (2-1) that becomes 4 over 1 which simplifies to 4.  Now you can do the same  from x = 2 to x = 6.

Bente