[BlindMath] Average Rate of Change problem

Doug and Molly Miron mndmrn at hbci.com
Sat Aug 18 14:49:24 UTC 2018

Good day Elise,

The average of a function over an interval is the integral of the
function divided by the length of the interval.  In this case, the
function being averaged is the derivative of f(x), so the integral of
the derivative is the original vunction.  Therefore, the answer is
(f(x_2)-f(x_1))/(x_2-x_1).  I don't know the rules for your pre-calculus
course so I don't know if you're allowed to use this reasoning and have
to take some other, more complicated, approach such as a
finite-difference approximation.

Regards,

Doug Miron