[BlindMath] UEB Math History/Methodology

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 17:52:47 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone,
I realize this thread is ages old, but I came across a draft response and
wanted to pursue it.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I should probably give context: I
recently finished my undergrad in economics and am a lifelong Nemeth user.
While I'm certainly not averse to change, I'm concerned about a potentially
less efficient code and I'm not sure how I can learn it completely "on the
fly" should I pursue higher education. However, as I say, I'm willing to be
corrected and educated. I'd just like to learn some background for context
of my own.

The State-versus-federal implementation of Nemeth or UEB is outside the
scope of my interest or knowledge, given I am not in the United States.
Obviously this might affect those of us outside the US as many adaptive
technology originates there and is often designed for American use first. I
am curious to see how technology will keep pace with these new changes, as
both Nemeth and UEB math will have to be supported, and support for any
electronic math system, while certainly improving, is still in its early
stages.

As I've used UEB more over the year since I wrote the above, I've come to
see some benefits: it is nicer to be able to use contracted Braille and
non-literary symbols, for instance. But I'm still confused with advanced
math. How are things like summations, limits, etc. handled with UEB? What
about those semi-bizarre symbols like the "hat" or "tilde" for variables?

Have a great day, and happy convention to those in attendance!
Sarah