[BlindMath] accessing math content using screen reader

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 13:30:32 UTC 2018

Hi Adil,
Please read my response to Carlos's question as some of it will help you as well.

As I said there, math in pdf form is unreadable. You'll need the Word Math Type or LaTeX source file to read it properly. Textbook authors are sometimes willing to provide these, but if that's not an option, consider InftyReader.

I find diagrams most helpful, but it depends on your learning style and the way your instructor teaches the material. Meeting with your instructors before classes begin will be essential. You'll want to ask them how they conduct their classes. Do they have slides they could send to you ahead of time? Could they read the information as they write it on the board? Could they describe the graphs they're drawing? If you have access to a disability councillor of any kind, could they find you a tutor or another classmate who could help if an instructor is unable or unwilling to?

What problems are you having with Math Player? It's a pretty great piece of software, so we should surely be able to help you figure it out.

I find Khan Academy helpful, but I'm not sure of any online means to practice math. Youtube can also be a great resource; many instructors post lectures that way as well (though they may or may not be accessible).

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Take care,
Sarah