[BlindMath] Geometry in a high school mainstream class

Mike Gorse mike at straddlethebox.org
Fri Jul 27 15:37:49 UTC 2018

I don't really have an answer to the question being asked. When I was in
high school, my geometry teacher placed slides on an overhead projector.
He would give the slides to my TVI in advance, and she would create
tactile versions for me and the other blind student in the class. I found
Sabra's examples to be interesting, since I mostly remember a lot of
triangles and other shapes, but then it's been over 20 years since I've
been in high school... Incidentally, I was placed in a "regular" geometry
class, rather than the advanced class, at least partly because the teacher
who taught the advanced class used the blackboard, rather than using
slides that could be handed out in advance. My grades in that class
weren't good enough to meet the guidelines that the school used for
allowing me to take the advanced-level math class the following year,
which I consider to be a form of prove-it-again bias, although it ended up
not mattering, since my family moved across country the following year.