[BlindMath] Thank you to Blindmath from a Graduand

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:31:24 UTC 2018

Hi all,
After a nearly ten-year ordeal in completing my undergraduate degree, I will
finally convocate this June 20. It's been a hell of a ride.

I wanted to thank you as a community for all your help over the years. I
don't exaggerate when I say that I could not have done it without you. I
arrived at university in 2008 naïve about how challenging it would be as a
blind student studying math, though I do appreciate it is better than it
once was. Your counsel over the years taught me about LaTeX, ICCHP, Math
Type and so much more. I wish I'd taken more concrete steps in following all
of your advice sooner.

I gained hope and listening ears for my commiserations. Having developed
serious depression and anxiety over the course of my degree, I appreciated
the pragmatism everyone provided when I was too stuck in my head to think
straight. Switching out of actuarial science and into economics and
international relations felt like a failed opportunity, but the presence of
math (and its accessibility joys and pains) remained, which was a comfort of
sorts.

I know that several of you regularly responded to my queries, no matter how
amateur. I appreciated everyone taking the time out of their lives for this.

I will continue to be a vocal member of BlindMath (I still have so many
questions!) and hopefully I can contribute as much as I have received.

Thank you again, and I look forward to more posts in the future!

Sarah

---