[BlindMath] Thank you to Blindmath from a Graduand

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Jun 11 21:30:54 UTC 2018

Thank you Sarah for sending us this message,

First of all, congratulations for sticking to it and getting there. I hope you and your family/friends celebrate your achievement together. Awesome stuff.

Thank you for candidly sharing your experience over the last ten years. I assume that others who share ideas and offer assistance via this list get the same thrill as I do, when we find out that our contributions have really made a difference to someone's life.

I have to admit that I have perhaps enjoyed your message more today than perhaps I would have last week, as I have been party to several recent discussions noting the reduction in people offering others thanks. It seems that fewer students attend graduations, there are fewer organised events to celebrate with students being planned by departments, and less communication by email or the old-fashioned thank-you card than once seemed normal.

Your message has reminded me of my New Year's resolution in 2016 that said I couldn't write a complaint until I had balanced the ledger by sending a thank-you of some sort (usually elsewhere). I found it quite a habit-forming endeavour.

Cheers,
Jonathan