[BlindMath] request for donation for NFB STEM scholarship 2018

John Miller johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:30:11 UTC 2018

Hello,

The National Federation of the BLIND NFB is a wonderful organization.
I am the president of the Science and Engineering Division of NFB.
We are a small group working to help blind scientists and engineers.
Please consider making a donation to the NFB towards the NFB STEM Scholarship.

The NFB STEM Scholarship is jointly funded by the Science and Engineering Division and the NFB in Computer Science Division.

The NFB in Computer Science Division (NFBCS) consists of blind computer professionals and other individuals with a shared interest in computer technology. NFBCS members work together to develop strategies that enable blind people to use and manipulate computers more efficiently and competitively.

This year, the NFB in Computer Science Division started off our fundraising with a generous donation of $200 for which I am very grateful.

In order to make a donation to the NFB STEM Scholarship, make a check payable to NFB.
On the memo line write STEM Scholarship.
Mail the check to
NFB accounting/scholarship
200 East Wells St. at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230.

We are raising funds for a $3000 or $5000 scholarship given to a worthy student at the NFB convention.

We will determine the amount awarded based on funds raised.
We have raised $3365 with a goal of $6000. We have achieved 56% of our goal and have $2635 more to go. A goal of $6000 allows us to have a small balance to help with 2019 fundraising.

NFB gives about 30 scholarships each year.
I was fortunate enough to receive a NFB scholarship as a graduating senior in high school.
I received a second NFB scholarship during my second year of my PH.D program at UC San Diego.

The NFB STEM Scholarship goes to a legally blind individual who will be in a fulltime US college or graduate program in fall of 2018.
The individual must be studying a major in the fields of science, engineering, technology, or mathematics.
You can read about the scholarship application at www.nfb.org/scholarships<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>.
Our division was able to give a scholarship in 2017 in the amount of $3,000 to Rachel Wellington who was beginning her college program in biology.

Rachel wrote to the division and said "Any financial assistance is greatly appreciated." She hopes to obtain a degree in biology from the University of Georgia.
We have been asked to complete our fundraising by May 1 in order to award a scholarship at the NFB convention in July.
Any funds that we raise in excess of $5,000 will be awarded in a future year.
I am really excited about the scholarship and am looking forward to meeting the enthusiastic blind student who will be the winner.

Thank you for all of your help and your kind consideration.

Very Best,

John Miller, President

Science and Engineering Division

of the National Federation of the Blind