[BlindMath] Typing Math and Science Quickly and Understandably

Louis Maher ljmaher03 at outlook.com
Wed May 2 23:19:12 UTC 2018

Hello,

Cary Supalo's Company is Independence Science (http://independencescience.com/).

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
E-mail ljmaher03 at outlook.com

-----Original Message-----
From: BlindMath <blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Bhavya shah via BlindMath
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:04 PM
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics <blindmath at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BlindMath] Typing Math and Science Quickly and Understandably

Hi Sabra,

Thanks a lot for your detailed response.

First off, I must confess that I have no knowledge and no intent of procuring the same about Nemeth Braille or working with Math through Braille in any other form. I have always exclusively relied on my computer to fulfil my classroom, notetaking and examination needs and have never used Braille for any practical purpose so far. I don’t think it would be worthwhile to invest time in learning Math typing with Braille given that I have no headstart or inclination of any sort anyways.

“Also note that you can use parentheses and brackets.” – Could you explicate this suggestion with an example? I am not too sure I properly follow you here.

“The Pearce in equation editor can produce math in a visual format.” – Could Since a perfunctory Google search failed in yielding further information about the mentioned tool, could you please share any links or sites to learn more about Pearce? Also, just to clarify, typing Math such that it is visually readable is not one of my top priorities at the moment. I am keen more on being able to take mathematical and scientific notes rapidly, and in a way that I can directly understand what I have typed while referring to the same again at a later date.
With my present techniques, especially LaTeX with MathType, I tend to need to read a fairly simple equation multiple times and even part by part before it registers entirely in my head.

“Do not type on your phone as I am doing now because it is much slower.” – I have no intention to use a Touch Screen or software keyboard on a Smartphone or Tablet to for academic purposes, let alone mathematic and scientific notetaking. :)

“You can copy previous steps to your clipboard, paste them, and then modify them to create your future steps.” – I do this currently for the very use case you described, that of balancing chemical equations.
As you have recommended, I could probably broaden this practice to solving numerical problems too.

“Another thing you can do is request things in electronic format.” – I will be in a fairly good position in this regard, for I have a great rehabilitation institute in my city with which I have been long affiliated and of which I have been an erstwhile beneficiary, who have will make this aspect of my education easier for me. However, I am still thinking about the preferred format of my Math and Science material, because due to a variety of reasons, I wasn’t all that comfortable with Math ML present in MS Word created using MathType and then read by NVDA using Math Player. With reference to tackling graphs, charts and diagrams, again, it is likely that I might get some important but excessively visual diagrams converted into tactile graphics, so I am in a good position there too. I have heard about sonification of curves through software like Math Trax and Audio Graphing Calculator, and thanks for your added input about 3D exploding pie charts, but I think I will probably start exploring these when I reach syllabus dealing with graphs. I am a little overwhelmed with straightening out the basics before I plunge into the more specific solutions to deal with particular chapters and concepts.

For the most part, I will not be doing practicals in a big way, especially not as part of coaching for this engineering entrance examination, but if you can get the exact name of this blind chemist (I tried “sapalo blind chemist” in Google to no avail), even if just for trivia and to quench my curiosity, it would be quite fascinating to understand how this individual works.

Again, many thanks for your prompt but comprehensive set of suggested solutions.

Thanks.

E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125 at gmail.com
LinkedIn: https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fbhavyashah125%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb2d468e24c4940ae072608d5b0813a47%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636608991429840789&sdata=DKbNhtjjR25Q95wJbTN%2F9Su1DsPkyM9f4sSGzW12D9k%3D&reserved=0
Twitter: @BhavyaShah125
Skype: bhavya.09