[BlindMath] Gardner–Salinas braille codes?

John Gardner gardnerj at oregonstate.edu
Sun Sep 30 22:02:03 UTC 2018

Bill, I've inserted answers to your questions below, marked by JAG:
John

Yes, GS6 seems quite similar to UEB (with differences in numbers and a few other symbols). Is UEB based on it, or are they both based on some other common code?
JAG: No, UEB is similar to the current UK maths code and is very different from GS.

Crazy that GS numbers were rejected on a 5-4 vote!
JAG: Crazy would be more forgivable.

In terms of GS8, is this essentially just for braille displays, or are there machines for writing it on paper as well?
JAG: GS is not just for braille displays, but currently there are no applications other than Word+MathType+LeanMath that print to paper.

Re Lean Math: is it available for general use now, or still a closed beta?
JAG: It has not made it to any official open source site yet, but anybody who wants can have a copy of the application and source code.

Finally, the GS reference pages from the Oregon State University website seem to be gone. Are they still available at a different location?
JAG: No, but that site is pretty old, and GS has been updated in any case. There is a GS reference as part of LEANMath. I'll try to write up a short note about GS for Access2Science and will post the reference on this list.