[BlindMath] Question about electronics safety in the lab

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Jan 3 13:19:21 UTC 2019

Sabra,

Perhaps this has already been explored, but one would need to know which
tools the other students are allowed to use in the lab, if any, and what
sort of general policy covers the usage.  If other students are required to
take lab notes using a pencil and paper and if only specific electronic
measuring instruments are permitted, possibly a handheld voice recorder
would be acceptable to record notes that can be transcribed later, if the
student does not know braille.  If other students are allowed to use some
kind of electronic devices or have access to lab computers, looking into
whether these computers could be made accessible might be a path to follow.
It is hard to make recommendations, though, without knowing more
information.  On the surface, this seems like a restrictive policy, but to
fairly assess it we would need to know more.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson