[BlindMath] What is your experience reading LaTeX source?

Aqil Sajjad aqilsajjad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:57:33 UTC 2019

LaTex is a great tool for writing math if you are at an advance stage (like
graduate school or higher). But reading LaTex source code directly is a very
cumbersome and inefficient way of reading math even if you're working at a
very advance level. It is something that no one should have to do. There are
several alternatives to it.

For example, you can convert LaTex to Math Type word or MathMl using a
conversion software and then use NVDA with math player or some braille
technology to read it. This has some limitations too. The conversion tools
don't work perfectly with all forms of LaTex commands and you may often have
to edit the source code yourself to render it in a form that converts
properly.
So things can get frustrating too. But if you can do that, it's much more
efficient than reading LaTex directly. There  is also some room for
improvement in how math player navigates through and reads mathematical
expressions. You also have to go through some song and dance to make it read
capital letters differently. But all of that is better than the tedium of
reading LaTex code directly.

Then there are LaTex to braille conversion tools, if you prefer braille over
speech. Since I am not a braille person, I can't comment on how good they
are. But given all the focus on braille, I would imagine that they should be
good enough to spare people the pain of having to read LaTex documents
directly.

Personally, I still use an old technology called WinTriangle for reading
LaTex documents because it has a much better conversion rate from LaTex than
Math Type converters. It allows me to read most things I need without too
much extra work and struggle. But this is partly because I have to read
research papers on a regular basis, so I need something more robust.
However, I can still guarantee anyone who's willing to give it a try that
it's much more efficient and easier than reading LaTex directly.

Bottom line: with several available alternatives, no one should have to read
LaTex source code directly unless they really want to torture themselves.