[BlindMath] Support for MathML in browsers/screen readers

vincentfmartin2020 at gmail.com vincentfmartin2020 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 15:27:25 UTC 2019

I concur....

-----Original Message-----
From: BlindMath <blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Noble,Stephen L.
via BlindMath
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 10:37 AM
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
<blindmath at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Noble,Stephen L. <steve.noble at louisville.edu>
Subject: Re: [BlindMath] Support for MathML in browsers/screen readers

Hi Birker,

For a while, the Benetech DIAGRAM project was tracking this via a
crowdsource testing effort, and the results are still available in their
Math Support Finder at https://msf.mathmlcloud.org/

Like many crowdsource efforts, there was an initial flurry of folks doing
testing, but after a while it falls off the radar. Nonetheless, it is
probably still the best source for this information. There's also another
effort by the DAISY Consortium to do much the same thing for EPUB reading
systems, but they have only recently added tests for MathML, so not many
systems have such information listed. You can find those tests results at
http://epubtest.org/results

Generally speaking, NVDA works well when the MathPlayer add-on is installed,
and either Firefox or Chrome is used. JAWS is not dependent on MathPlayer,
but the browser coverage may be different. ChromeVox in the ChromeOS with
Chrome and VoiceOver with Safari in the MacOS and iOS are all still working
as far as I know.

Hope that helps,

--Steve Noble