[BlindMath] Support for MathML in browsers/screen readers

Noble,Stephen L. steve.noble at louisville.edu
Wed May 29 14:36:32 UTC 2019

Hi Birker,

For a while, the Benetech DIAGRAM project was tracking this via a crowdsource testing effort, and the results are still available in their Math Support Finder at https://msf.mathmlcloud.org/

Like many crowdsource efforts, there was an initial flurry of folks doing testing, but after a while it falls off the radar. Nonetheless, it is probably still the best source for this information. There's also another effort by the DAISY Consortium to do much the same thing for EPUB reading systems, but they have only recently added tests for MathML, so not many systems have such information listed. You can find those tests results at http://epubtest.org/results

Generally speaking, NVDA works well when the MathPlayer add-on is installed, and either Firefox or Chrome is used. JAWS is not dependent on MathPlayer, but the browser coverage may be different. ChromeVox in the ChromeOS with Chrome and VoiceOver with Safari in the MacOS and iOS are all still working as far as I know.

Hope that helps,

--Steve Noble