[BlindMath] Writing LaTeX equations in word with Jaws or NVDA

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 16 17:43:55 UTC 2020

As a few people have said, MathType + MathPlayer + NVDA is a good
combination for what you want to do. MathType itself is not accessible, but
it has a feature that allows you to type TeX into a Word doc and with a
single keystroke, toggle between LaTeX math and MathType's nice display of
math. For a sighted person, you can see whether you typed the LaTeX
correctly or not when converted to MathType. Someone who is blind can't see
the equation, but MathPlayer+NVDA will speak the math so they can tell if
it is correct or not. If not, toggle back into LaTeX, try to fix it, then
toggle back to hear it spoken and/or read the Nemeth for it on a
refreshable braille display. It's not ideal. Better would be if MathType
itself were accessible, but it does seem to be a workable solution.

Neil Soiffer
(full disclosure: I worked on MathPlayer at Design Science, so I have my
biases)

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>