[BlindMath] Assistance with PCB design

kperry at blinksoft.com kperry at blinksoft.com
Mon Dec 14 21:51:11 UTC 2020

You may have to draw things out on paper for now.  There are amazing devices
like the Graphiti being sold and more under development.  I have a Graphiti
and draw schematics can be done but right now there is not a program like
eagle or others that make doing it as easy because of the resolution of the
apps more than anything.  You could draw with something like a drafts man
tactile drawing board and then have a sighted assistant transpose your
design to eagle.   The command lines of those apps are not as useful as you
might think.  I have many on my computer and I am 100% blind, but I am using
them more for research on making an accessible version for Graphiti and
other tactile displays that will be forth coming in a few years.       Orbit
Research orbitresearch.com  does sell the Graphiti and you could view
schematics with it and even draw some of your own which I have done for a
couple conferences to show people how to build simple circuits.      Of
course, good old raised line drawing pins or the for mentioned draftsman
might be a better way to get your ideas down.  As for viewing them you could
embossed simple circuits, but you might have to blow them up and emboss them
in sections if they are complicated.  Blind people have been doing
electronics for as far back as it goes.  There are many resources online for
example the SmithKettlewell technophiles are legacy text on doing
electronics as far back as the early 80's.

http://www.ski.org/smith-kettlewell-technical-file
    There are also talking multi meters.
https://www.mpja.com/mobile/Talking-Digital-Multimeter/productinfo/35042+ME/

Don't give up trying even if you need sighted assistance at the start.  You
can build just about anything with breadboards and heck don't even knock
using snap Circuits.  A Washington university has upgraded their PHD physics
class to use Snap Circuits because it is easier for all their students not
just blind folks.  Snap Circuits is more than a toy and it can solve some
quick builds if you use them.  APH has a few sets that are labeled with
braille and once you see how it is done you an go farther.

Just let me know if you have other questions: kperry at blinksoft.com

ken