[BlindMath] Seeking Help with Excel Data Analysis Tools

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 14:26:19 UTC 2020

Hello All,

I am currently enrolled in a statistics class that uses the data analysis tools in Microsoft Excel. However, I am having a difficult time figuring out how to use the data analysis tools in Microsoft Excel.

Our first Excel project assignment was to create a histogram using the data analysis tools. I have spent about six hours trying to complete this assignment without much success.

I am using a laptop running Windows 10 with Excel 2016. I have tried using the data analysis tools to create a histogram with both JAWS 2019  and NVDA without any success.

I also tried using my old desktop computer running Windows 7 and Office 2013  with an older version of JAWS. It looks as though I may have been able to complete the steps for creating a histogram through the data analysis tools, but I am only able to see it as part of the Excel worksheet in colums and rows. So I have no idea if it actually shows up visually as a histogram. And it does not appear as though I have the ability to edit any of the labels or close the gaps between the bars in the historgram as described in a class video.

Does anyone know if it is possible to independently use the data analysis tools in Microsoft Excel without any sighted assistance? Do the data analysis tools not work as well with a screen reader in Office 2016 compared to Office 2013? If I need to use sighted assistance to complete my Excel project assignments using the data analysis tools, how would I go about doing this in a way that does not feel like the sighted person is doing all the work for me?

Ideally I would like to be able to find a way to complete my Excel project assignments for my statistics class on my own. However, the amount of time I am spending trying to figure this out is simply not sustainable for the rest of the semester. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Elizabeth