[BlindMath] Zoom meeting on accessible math: Thu 11 Feb 6:30 to 7:30 UK time

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 00:06:58 UTC 2021

I did my own little investigation into this a while ago. Here is my
understanding. I'll be happy if anyone corrects me if any of my points
are not valid.
1. Tex was invented like in  1960s - and they had no idea about
accessibility back then. Tex is really just the engine, and there are
tons of packages written on top of that engine. Neither the engine, nor
the packages were written with accessibility in mind.
2. There appear to have been some efforts to introduce Tex PDF
accessibility. For example, see:
     *
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/550511/what-is-the-best-package-for-accessibility-tagging/550523#550523
     * https://github.com/karel-brinda/tex-accessibility
     * https://github.com/integr-abile/axessibility
However, these packages seem to suffer from one common problem: they
break visual layout  except for the simplest cases. That's the reason
why conferences don't use this package.
3. In order to have a working accessibility Latex package, it appears
that you need to make changes to nearly every otehr Latex package to
make it to work with accessibility package. The number of tex packages
that are widely used is enormous, therefore therethere's enormous amount
of work to be done with no one to pay for, and let's be honest - with
marginal benefits - there are not too many blind people in the world
willing to read math papers.
4. I also stumbled upon the discussion with one of ML conference
organizers (couldn't find a link now), and it seems like they were
willing to work in that direction, that is enforce all the papers to be
accessible, as long as there is a working accessibility package.
So my conclusion was that Latex PDF accessibility is not likely to be a
reality in the nearby future. Even if NFB or any other blindness-related
group forms an advocacy group to push for accessible Latex PDFs, it
still feels unlikely  that widespread accessibility could be achieved,
primarily becuase of complexity of the system.
Too bad. Again, hope someone can correct me.
--Tony