[BlindMath] Zoom meeting on accessible math: Thu 11 Feb 6:30 to 7:30 UK time

Petr Pařízek sweetji at seznam.cz
Sun Feb 7 09:09:27 UTC 2021

Jonathan wrote:
<<<<<
I also used many shortcuts in the regular paragraphs too. Use of the
codes meant that the visual presentation of a term was always the same
throughout
a 300 page thesis. I wrote commands to replicate sets of other commands
so that I saved myself time; they just don't make sense to anyone else
and let's
face it, most have zero value to the blind person reading them.

I wouldn't find source LaTeX materials to be as problematic as that. In
fact, I even often find it helpful to be able to read the code on some
webpages; so whenever I really want to do that, I launch good old JAWS
15 which still allows me to read the code behind it. Honestly, I think
the matter of making accessible PDFs is currently a bigger issue, no
matter if the source code is LaTeX or anything else.

Also, suppose I want to write my own mathematical paper. I want to find
such a format or language whose source code doesn't take up a lot of
space and also can easily be turned into what the sighted person is
supposed to see. From this viewpoint, MathML has the disadvantage that
it's extremely verbose so even if there were a good MathML to PDF
converter with Alt tags or whatever, probably I wouldn't go for it.

So far I haven't found any better alternative than this:
http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn28/UTN28-PlainTextMath-v3.1.pdf
Unfortunately, there don't seem to be easily available converters from,
let's say, UnicodeMath to PDF or UnicodeMath to HTML.
Petr

--
Tento e-mail byl zkontrolován na viry programem AVG.
http://www.avg.cz