[BlindMath] Zoom meeting on accessible math: Thu 11 Feb 6:30 to 7:30 UK time

David Farmer farmer at aimath.org
Thu Feb 11 11:29:56 UTC 2021

This conference next Thursday and Friday, February 18 and 19,
may be of interest to those who have been following the thread
on LaTeX and PDF accessibility:

http://workshop.sciaccess.net/deims2021/index.html

The title of the conference is:

The 4th International Workshop on
"Digitization and E-Inclusion in Mathematics and Science 2021" (DEIMS2021)

The third paragraph of the overview is:

No matter whether education is face-to-face or distance, digitized
documents that are given to all pupils/students should be available in an
accessible format. However, digitization of STEM (science, technology,
engineering and mathematics) content and its applications have challenges
not present in a non-technical field. For example, while many online
educational materials are provided in PDF (Acrobat Portable Document
Format), the semantic information in mathematical formulas cannot easily
be extracted. Formulas are depicted visually as a set of
characters/symbols in a two-dimensional layout or an image. Thus, in many
cases, it is hard for print-disabled people to read/author those contents
although their accessibility is definitely important to achieve a truly
inclusive society even in this crisis.

The conference is free but registration is required.
The deadline was last month (I just found out about it),
but I sent my registration form anyway.  They wrote back quickly with
Zoom links and other information.

Regards

David