[BlindMath] Learning High School Math

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 26 16:43:11 UTC 2021

I wrote MathPlayer and for the most part, what people have said is correct.
I want to correct a common misunderstanding though. MathPlayer is a 32-bit
application and indeed won't run in 64-bit Word. BUT... it doesn't need to
run in Word -- it needs to work with NVDA which is a 32 bit application.
You lose the ribbon entry in 64-bit Word, but all the other functionality
is still there -- speech, braille, and navigation. The reason for this is
that the flow of information is:
1. NVDA encounters a MathType object in a Word document.
2. NVDA asks MathType for the MathML corresponding to the internal MathType
representation. This is why you need MathType.
3. NVDA calls MathPlayer with the MathML to get the speech, braille, etc.

This last step does not involve Word. A similar procedure happens in a
browser except that step '2' is "NVDA queries the DOM to get the MathML".
Most people use a 64-bit browser and MathPlayer works fine with 64-bit
browsers.

Sadly WIRIS, the company that bought Design Science, has decided they don't
want to continue with MathPlayer despite my offer to do updates for free.
Because of this, earlier this year I started on a MathPlayer replacement
that I call MathCAT: Math Capable Assistive Technology. It is open source.
It implements most of ClearSpeak at the moment, but still has a few months
to go before it is ready for real use. I have done a proof of concept
connection with NVDA so I know it will work with NVDA. I also spoke with
the ORCA (the Linux screen reader) developer and she is interested in
incorporating MathCAT there -- so some good news to the few of you who use
Linux.

When MathCAT is ready for beta testing, I will reach out to this mailing
list and ask for testers. I'll also need people to help with translations
to other languages. MathCAT's external format for speech rules (which are
user changeable) differs from MathPlayer. It think they are more powerful,
easier to read, and easier modify. Because of the difference, converting
the 14 different language translations is very error-prone... and I have no
way to know if the speech that gets generated is correct.

Bottom line: stay tuned for an open source replacement to MathPlayer that I
hope others will contribute to.

Neil Soiffer

Virus-free.
www.avg.com