[BlindMath] Please, more talk between blind math users and LaTeX developers

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 16 00:55:11 UTC 2021

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from writing a paper about the importance
of latex output being accessible, but I do want to push back against the
idea that the latex developers don't care about accessibility or are
ignorant of it. I have met a few of them and they all seem like smart,
caring people who, like many of us, have much more on their plate than they
can chew.  Accessibility was not much of an issue back in the 80s when TeX
was developed, especially for a system that was (then) designed for print.
Times have changed and hopefully TeX will also.

Three things that people should know:
1. For the most part, they are volunteers trying to maintain free software
that was developed in the early 80s;
2. They have a huge user base/historical legacy and any changes need to be
carefully executed so that existing latex doesn't break;
3. Adding the tagging in a way that doesn't require authors to alter what
they wrote means the deep down guts of the program need to be modified.
This is not an easy task, especially when dealing with a large, old
program! If it were easy, it would have been done by now.

With Adobe's recent support, I believe progress will be made, but without
monetary support, it is no more fair to ask them to stop doing their day
job and work on this for free than it is to ask anyone in the group to give
up their income for two years to help some other group with needs.

I hope this message wasn't too defensive or preachy. I know TeX
accessibility is a huge problem and I hope to help remedy it in what small
way I can.

Neil Soiffer