[BlindMath] Question about the visualization of mathematical Concepts

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 29 18:28:27 UTC 2021

IMO, the main problem with getting a sense for mathematical concepts if
you are blind is that sighted people insist that you show them what you
are thinking by drawing it on a piece of paper. To get a sense of what I
mean, challenge a sighted person to a game of tic tack toe of the mind.
Each player just says where they want their X or O to go. You might need
a third  person to write it down for you because your opponent probably
won't be able to picture the game in his/her mind. Maybe I'm not a
typical blind person but I have no problem just picturing something as
simple as a tick tack toe game in my head. But sighted people, if they
can't draw it, they are in trouble.

I really think being blind is a huge advantage when picturing 3
dimensional spaces. Sighted people are struggling to draw it on paper
whereas a blind person can just "see" it in their head.