[BlindMath] Math on the web - old technolotgy?

Bernhard Stöger bernhard.stoeger at jku.at
Wed Sep 8 11:25:28 UTC 2021

Dear experts,
I am planning to give a presentation where I shall survery several techniques to present math on the web in an accessible manner. To my judgement, Wikipedia tackles the problem in a fine way, in that it uses MathML which may be read by a screen reader, with the alternative to have pure png, and wiht the final alternative to have TeX source, the latter being still there for legacy - pure text browser -, but being also an alternative for those blind individuals who like to read TeX source rather than MathML rendered by the screen reader.
However, in my strive for giving a complete survey where I also want to discuss legacy approaches, I thought of the older method where a formula was displayed by an image, with ist TeX source as an alt attribute. I do think that this method does have advantages, especially the fact that it lets blind and people loving TeX source and sighted people look at a formula simultaneously. Here my question to you: Are you aware of cases where this is still done? Can you give me a web link to a publication where this older method is applied?

With best thanks in advance and with kind regards,
Bernhard from Austria