[BlindMath] Matlab for blind users

Rastislav Kish rastislav.kish at protonmail.com
Tue Apr 5 22:33:07 UTC 2022

Hi,

just a curious question, why all of this activity regarding R and blind
users in particular?

I mean, isn't R just another programming language, just with a
specialized focus of interest, making it easier and more convenient to
work with?

For example, it would be practically useless to make a specialized
Python list for blind people since well... Python is the same for
everyone, regardles of their sight, so standard education materials can
be followed without any problems, and one can engage in communities like
Stack overflow #Python or r/Python just as anyone else.

Note I'm not trying to say here that R mailing groups for blind are of
no use. I'm not an R user, so I don't have the expertise to do so.

You can interpret my question rather as: What's the advantage of me
using specialized materials and communities, rather than the
standard-ones with broader range of involved people?

Also, may be slightly OT, but I'm still to hear a good reason, why to
use Matlab instead of SageMath, Python, R etc?

As far as I understand, Matlab is popular for it's interactive
simulation capabilities, where one can try out various model choices by
mouse clicks, drags etc. and see the results right away.

But for some reason, I'm pretty sure not a bit of this capability is
accessible for us, and is not going to be any time soon.

So, what's the reason to struggle with an inaccessible environment, when
there are perfectly accessible solutions, for free?

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 5. 4. 2022 o 2:30 Lucas Nadolskis via BlindMath napísal(a):