[BlindMath] Ew: Current strategies regarding accessible mathematics

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 14 20:09:59 UTC 2022

There can't be a single answer to the question of how a blind student
can best access mathematical curriculum with their
 > assistive technology of choice. It would depend on the student's
choice of assistive technology.  At best, we  can tell you only which
technologies work best for most students. And even that is difficult
because there isn't a lot of data and the choices depend on the
student's academic goals. Also, there would be different answers
depending on whether the student is partially blind, totally blind, or
deaf blind. But even if there was one single best solution for
everybody,  it wouldn't matter because, as your question implies, it has
to be the student's choice. Without exception, the blind students I have
mentored have felt that they had a right to use the technology of their
choice even if, in some cases, it was impractical.

I wonder if there is a way to find out which STEM textbooks have the
best accessible formats. Publishers probably vary greatly in how good
the accessible versions of their textbooks are. Maybe we could start
encouraging high schools, colleges, and universities to use textbooks
that have a better accessible format.