[BlindMath] Questions about Nemeth and UEB

John Gardner john.gardner at viewplus.com
Thu Apr 6 04:36:04 UTC 2023

Interesting to see a mention of the Gardner Salinas braille code. I thought that had been long since buried. That code is a little history lesson on how good things can go so wrong. UEB is "Uniform English Braille". Actually it would be more correct to call it "Ununiform English Braille" because there is absolutely nothing uniform about UEB. It was not intended that way. UEB arose from a famous letter from Professors Abe Nemeth and Tim Cranmer in 1991 describing the fragmented nature of braille being many arcane codes with many differences, including different symbols having different representations. They asked that a new braille code be developed that, among other things:
* braille representations for symbols would be uniform (whether literary, math, computer, or other subject),
* text to braille and braille to text would be easily and correctly translated by computers.
That is not how it turned out.

BANA listened to those two persuasive scientists and appointed a committee (Abe Nemeth, Tim Cranmer, Emerson Foulk, and chaired by Joe Sullivan) to develop a new uniform braille code. Norberto Salinas and I were permitted to be observers and participate in discussions. He, a mathematician, and I, a physicist, pointed out that a uniform code would need symbols, not codes (such as number sign followed by letters) to represent numbers. We then, in a few weeks, wrote that GS code just to show the committee what a uniform code could look like. Then all hell broke loose when the rest of the English-speaking world demanded representation on that committee. The Americans all supported changing numbers, but the new members all opposed it as "too radical", so literary numbers were retained, and a uniform code became impossible. Interestingly, the French apparently did not consider it too radical, because they have adopted "Antoine numbers (letters + dot 6, the symbols preferred by three Americans, with Nemeth preferring dropped numbers) in their code.

I occasionally just for fun code some math into GS, and it is just such a nice elegant compact code. Too bad, but that is the way politics works folks.

John Gardner