[BlindMath] Trouble With UEB

Daniel Gillen daniel.l.gillen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 22:48:27 UTC 2023

Dear Dana,

As someone who grew up studying the Nemeth code for all of my math classes and went on to study physics in college, I might also ask the same question about spatial  arrangements for basic arithmetic. Since I was born blind and have always read braille, I haven’t personally seen spatial math to be useful to me as a student. However, spatial math is taught to sighted students true elementary school years, and it is valuable that braille is transcribed to follow print as closely as possible for the given applications of the material. That said, I and other primary braille users have basically forgotten about spatial in favor of linear when we arrived at algebra, which made it far more feasible to do math work on a Braille notetaker as opposed to a Perkins Brailler. I guess my point is that in order to follow along with the normal method of teaching arithmetic operations in elementary school, it is better to show the operations in action using a spatial setup in braille. That is, one would actually be able to “carry over” in the different place values to keep track of the operation in progress. In addition, doing long division problems  can be explained more easily to a blind student if they are provided with the spatial layout in braille. Thus, regardless of whether you are using Nemeth or UEB math, having some understanding of spatial arrangements is helpful, especially if you are planning on teaching a blind student of elementary school age doing arithmetic with their sighted peers. If anyone else can provide some insights on this topic, that would be great.

Best,
Daniel

sent from my iPhone