[BlindMath] Bookmarked PDFs

Lucas Nadolskis nadol012 at umn.edu
Wed Feb 1 22:08:29 UTC 2023

Hello all.

I have been trying to access some books that are quite heavy on math.
I have found them on Bookshare, but the math content is not properly formatted, which in this specific case makes a lot of difference.

I then reached out to the publisher, who  sent me the bookmarked PDF of the book.

However, the math in the book is still beyond the reach of Jaws, VO or braille notetakers.

My  next step would be writing to the author, but considering how old the book is, I don’t have a whole lot of hope on this front.

I know this is a persistent issue, and I have emailed a couple of times in this list about it.
But I am wonder why PDFs, even those generated on LaTeX, are not accessible as far as math is concern.

I have used mathML and math type with fantastic results. However, unfortunately I still need to deal a lot with PDFs, and I can’t find a solution for that.

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Kind regards.

Lucas Nadolskis.