[BlindMath] Bookmarked PDFs

Susan Kelmer Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 1 22:42:32 UTC 2023

PDFs are simply a display medium.  And while you can produce them with some formatting and bookmarks, the math will never be accessible because it is an image, and even with good OCR, the OCR output doesn't know how to format math for reading by someone using a screen reader.

And even if the book was originally written and formatted as a LaTex document, it doesn’t mean that the math was actually presented properly, but perhaps you could ask the publisher for the original Latex, if there is one?

This is why people like me still have a job.  Publishers are producing PDFs, and if I'm producing files for a blind student, I must turn them into something usable by a screen reader.  Generally, I'm using Word with MathType and outputting as HTML/MathML and/or Braille, because MathType still doesn't render Latex.  I wish they'd get that fixed, it would save me a billion steps in trying to produce a Latex file from very good quality Word with MathType files.

Susan Kelmer
Alternate Format Production Program Manager
Disability Services
Health and Wellness Services
T 303 735 4836
www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices

Due to the nature of electronic communication, the security of this message cannot be guaranteed. If you’ve received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.