[BlindMath] Exploratory Data Analysis And Sonification

Robin Williams Robin.Williams at atass-sports.co.uk
Wed Mar 22 09:27:51 UTC 2023

Hi,

As Jonathan says, if you have some basic familiarity with R you might want to check out our sonify package. The package allows you to plot 'tick marks' on the x-axis, which are played when that point is passed in the soundscape. You can also overlay white noise if you want to know when the value of the curve on the y axis is contained within a certain interval. For other sonification options there is the SAS Graphics Accelerator, and I believe there is at least one implementation in Python, although I'm unsure on the details. I recall a thread on the program-l list some time ago, so it could be worth searching the archives and asking there.
Something I do often is to fit a Loess curve to the data and have the sonify package play the curve. I've included my wrapper function below by way of an example.
One  thing you miss with our current sonification package is the amount of spread in the points throughout the time series. To get a handle on this you could break the time series in to bins, and calculate the standard deviation of the points in each bin.
You also might  miss changes in the density of data throughout the time series. You could get a handle on this with a histogram of the x values. I believe Jonathan's BrailleR package has some exciting developments in the works, which sadly I'm yet to check out.

Here's my, very simple, Loess wrapper function. Note that if you try to fit it on too much data it will take for ever, so you might want to randomly cut down the dataset.
audioLoess = function(x,y,degree=2L,span=0.5,...) {
    require(sonify)
    mod = loess(y~x,span=span,degree=degree)
    sonify(sort(x),mod$fitted[order(x)],...)
}

HTH,
Robin