[BlindMath] New to LaTex

Rastislav Kish rastislav.kish at protonmail.com
Mon Sep 25 23:41:43 UTC 2023

Hi Bert and others,

as I mentioned, it depends primarily on what you want to achieve.

Typst is a full-fledged typesetting system just like LaTeX, so if you're
in a situation where you want to produce a well designed paper / book /
whatever, Typst should serve your needs nicely.

Since in its barest form it's basically a compiler controllable from
command line, it's as accessible as any programming language, plus,
another advantage I find very useful is exactly the modern syntax, which
makes it not impossible, but harder to make a mistake.

Though, having that said, it's not impossible to print markdown books,
either.

https://thorstenball.com/blog/2018/09/04/the-tools-i-use-to-write-books/

And this is just one of many examples, there are many packages for
writing books and articles about writing books in Markdown.

I guess rendering with LaTeX like in the example above is one option,
but since MD works so well with HTML, I would be surprised if there
weren't CSS based solutions.

CSS has already turned out to be quite powerful, so I would expect some
styling magic to be possible.

While things like RMarkdown and notebooks have their unique superpowers
in joining claims and theorems with actual real computations and
results, providing new dymensions of reproducibility and interactivity
to scientific documents.

It all comes down to one's needs in my opinion.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 26. 9. 2023 o 1:05 Bert Van Landeghem via BlindMath napísal(a):