[BlindMath] New to LaTex

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 12:13:34 UTC 2023

Hi

I've been very impressed by recent contributions to this list. I'm
particularly thinking of the threads.

Subject: New to LaTeX
Started by: Dana Mohsen

Subject: I'm blind! I love math! I want to go higher than high school
geometry
Started by Ray McAllister

Subject: Question about Latex
Started by: Janet Tabora

I have a suggestion. It is that as an experiment the people on this list,
perhaps with help from the Visually Impaired Programmers list, hold a
monthly online audio meeting, with video available so that sighted persons
(like myself) can act as an assistant, for example for complex math, figure
descriptions and LaTeX installation. This also gives sighted persons an
opportunity to learn about the needs of blind people and the difficulties
they face, and for both sides to make new friends.

I'm impressed that the US National Federation of the Blind (who host this
list) is run by blind people, which helps ensure that it reflects the
collective views of its blind members. I think this is important, and so
I'm not interested in having a leading role in such a sequence of regular
audio (plus screenshare) meetings. However, I am willing to provide about 3
hours a month to the end of the year to support such meetings. This would
include providing Zoom Pro hosting from my account, and processing the
resulting audio and video recordings.

For those that don't know, a few words about myself. I'm sighted and
retired. My interests include math research, TeX and LaTeX, Python and
accessibility. I've experience in teaching college and university level
mathematics. I used to be the LaTeX Officer at the Open University in the
UK.

I hope my outlook on LaTeX and accessibility is mostly consistent with
Jonathan Godfrey's. I run a weekly online video meeting, The TeX Hour,
where I've already met some of you.

with best wishes

Jonathan