[BlindMath] Mathematica

Neil Soiffer soiffer at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 26 06:26:13 UTC 2024

It's been a few decades since I last used Mathematica, but the text-based
interface still exists and should be accessible. See
https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/UsingATextBasedInterface.html
for more information.

One issue you will encounter with the text-based interface is that the
default output will be printed on multiple lines and that will be gibberish
to a screen reader. You will want to use "InputForm" so the output is
printed as if you typed it. Using the postfix "//" function application is
probably the easiest way to use this. For example
(x+y)(x-y)//InputForm
will return
x^2 - y^2

There is a way to make InputForm be the default output format. This *might*
work:
SetOptions[$Output, FormatType->InputForm]

I don't have a version of Mathematica to try that on though.

Good luck,

Neil Soiffer