[BlindResearch] Introduction and question

Conchita Hernandez Legorreta hernandezlegorreta at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:36:19 UTC 2018

Hi all,
First an introduction, I am Conchita Hernandez I am getting a doctorate
from George Washington University in Special Education. I am really glad
this group list was created to share with others in the field. My interest
is blindness and marginalized populations. Now my question: I am currently
in the process of submitting an article to be published in a journal. One
of the things they would like to see changed is to make sure my while paper
is in person first language. While I understand how person-first language
has typically been used in research, I see the value in identity first
language and how it can be empowering. I think as we move forward the idea
that person first language is the only correct way to write scholarly
writing will change. Have any of you ran into this and what are your
thoughts on the topic? To give an example person first language would say,
"the woman who is blind", while "identity-first language would use,  "the
blind woman." Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Maria (Conchita) Hernandez Legorreta M.A.T.
Teacher of Blind Students in Washington DC
Doctorate Student at George Washington University
METAS Chair: http://metasinternational.org/