[BlindResearch] Laptop Issues

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:21:13 UTC 2022

Hello Naz:

Any new laptop I would buy would have at least 16 GB of RAM, at least a one terabyte flash hard drive, and a processor speed no less than 2.0 gigahertz. The graphics card should be as vanilla as possible, nothing fancy.

Three things I do before the computer leaves the store:

1.	Ensure that the function keys are set in the BIOS to be real function keys and not media or other control keys and
2.	remove all vendor-specific software, often called bloatware. You want the Windows operating system to be as generic as possible.
3.	Finally, I strongly recommend using Microsoft 365, the subscription version.

Software does crash from time to time even on the best system. The trick is to keep the system as straightforward and simple as possible while still getting the most out of the computer. Since Narrator and Magnifier are both Microsoft-supported products, I find it disturbing if either program contributes to a crash scenario.

In terms of the operating system, you will doubtless get Windows 11. All reports indicate that Windows 11 is a fairly stable system.

Please feel free to contact me directly at chong.curtis at gmail.com <mailto:chong.curtis at gmail.com>  or via mobile phone at 515-306-1654 if you want to talk about this further.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong