[BlindRUG] New version of R available

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sat Apr 18 02:28:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I need to keep my R installation up to date to make sure everything is working for my students who nmight download and run almost any version of R. Whenever a new version comes out I get a notice about it; this is usually in the form of Tal Galili promoting his package that helps update R if required.

At some time in the past, the suggestion in the following post wasn't easy enough for me to recommend as it wasn't playing nicely with screen readers. I have tested it on an old desktop (Vista) at home this morning, and on Monday I will do so again on my work desktop (Windows 7). I think we could offer feedback if anyone finds the process a problem.

While I now think the suggestion  is worth using, there is one extra command I will suggest you use first. I recommend ensuring that R avoids the "choose CRAN mirror" dialogue by setting it manually first. Use:
chooseCRANmirror(ind=1)

and then follow the instructions from the blog post below.

Let us know how you get on,
Jonathan

(This article was first published on R-statistics blog > R<http://www.r-statistics.com/2015/04/r-3-2-0-is-released-using-the-installr-package-to-upgrade-in-windows-os/>, and kindly contributed to R-bloggers)<http://www.r-bloggers.com/>

R 3.2.0 (codename "Full of Ingredients") was released yesterday<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/R-3-2-0-is-released-td4705933.html>. You can get the latest binaries version from here<http://cran.rstudio.com/>. (or the .tar.gz source code from here<http://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-3/R-3.2.0.tar.gz>). The full list of new features and bug fixes is provided below.

Upgrading to R 3.2.0 on Windows

you are using Windows you can easily upgrade to the latest version of R using the installr package<http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/installr/>. Simply run the following code:

# installing/loading the latest installr package:

install.packages("installr"); library(installr) #load / install+load installr

updateR() # updating R.

Running "updateR()" will detect if there is a new R version available, and if so it will download+install it (etc.).

I try to keep the installr package updated and useful, so if you have any suggestions or remarks on the package - you are invited to leave a comment below.

CHANGES IN R 3.2.0: