[BlindRUG] Feedback sought on BrailleR package

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Apr 14 11:18:57 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I sent a message to the list a couple of weeks back informing of the latest version of my BrailleR package being uploaded to CRAN.

Once you've installed the package, I'd like you to work through some examples, look at the help pages and vignettes and let me know what you think needs to change in the work that is done, and what other tasks you think I could commit time and energy on.

I've tried to write a simple example for each function in the package. Typing example() for any function named in the brackets gets the examples from the help pages run in the terminal or console depending on where you prefer to work. Warning: You may need to hit enter  few times to get graph windows to be created. In many cases, the example creates files in your working directory. Please be sure to look at them as well as the output inside R.

First, try example(UniDesc) which will create an html document that includes graphs and numeric summaries for your perusal.

Then, look at the help page for UniDesc. Does it meet your needs?

By default, the package assumes you are blind. You can switch between operating as a blind or sighted person using the GoBlind() and GoSighted() commands. The sighted don't need the text description of graph that are created by the VI() commands.

Finally, for the first set of feedback, please find a variable of your own choosing and attempt to get the UniDesc() for it.

If you want to share ideas on list that's fine by me. If you prefer to go off list, that's fine too. I do want people to feel free to start a discussion about why certain things are done the way they are.

Cheers,
Jonathan